Our African hair is so versatile; you can do almost anything with it. There are plenty of African hairstyles to choose to experiment with. Today you can grow it long and tomorrow chop it all off, but look gorgeous either way.
“I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am a soul that lives within.”
India Arie spoke so the truth! We are not defined by our hair, it’s an extension of who we are. African hairstyles are beautiful and fun, thanks to the many options we have.
Relaxed hair is no different, we all remember being in school and relaxing our hair every so often and tying it in a ‘puff’ (ponytail) or brushing it in a ‘push back’ (brushed down)!
Relaxed hair can be styled into gorgeous hairstyles, provided you follow these hair-instructions
- Relax your hair every 6 – 8 weeks, dependent on your hair. Avoid relaxing your hair every time new growth appears. It will save you money and keep your hair healthier, in the long run.
- Heat style your hair only occasionally to prevent dryness and damage.
- Wrap your hair or sleep on a satin pillowcase to protect your hair at night.
- Wear protective hairstyles to prevent your ends from losing moisture and in maintaining the overall health of your hair.
- Wash your hair with a gentle shampoo and a moisturising conditioner once a week to maintain its strength and moisture.
- After following these instructions your hair should be healthy and gorgeous enough to experiment with!
The likes of Halle Berry have made this look timeless. Do you remember how she rocked it in that James Bond movie? Or perhaps let’s bring it closer to home, think of the sizzling Gail Nkoane Mabalane from The Wild?
It’s simple but edgy. It has kept its popularity from the 90s to today! It’s a high maintenance type of hairstyle that requires a professional hairstylist to make sure that it is layered and cut in an attractive way.
When we see this hairstyle, we automatically associate it with the trendy Rihanna or otherwise known as RIRI. It’s a hairstyle that the bold have taken to set them apart from the rest. You could go as far as adding colour to it, to make it more unique to your personal style!
This hairstyle is a simple go-to for the girl that’s on the go with little time to style her hair. All it requires is a little moisturiser a fine comb and you are good to go. To add a bit of glam, you could use a hair curler to create a bob look on the edges of your hair.
Buns are sophisticated and cute all at the same time. Whether you tie up your hair and roll it till it resembles a bun or add a bit of a volume with a donut bun, you can pull this look off!
Sometime a girl likes to add length to her hair and what style can do that better than a high pony! The great thing about it is that in can be adapted into a bun. It’s as easy as tying up your hair in a natural bun, then attaching extensions. Kinky stores have attachable ponies that are suited to whichever look you are going for. Some of them come in drawstring form or you could use bobby pins to keep everything in place.